Replace Car Registration

There are a number of reasons you might need to replace your New Jersey vehicle registration. If your registration card or your license plates have been stolen, damaged, or lost, you can file an application for duplicates with the Motor Vehicle Commission.

If you have damaged license plates, you can receive your replacement plate by mail. If your plates have been stolen or lost, however, you’ll need to go to your local MVC office in person to receive your new license plates immediately.


How to Apply for a Vehicle Registration Replacement

If you have a lost vehicle registration or stolen vehicle registration, your registration certificate needs to be replaced in person. You’ll have to visit your local MVC office. It’s not possible to replace your registration online, through the mail, or over the phone.

You’ll need to bring the following documentation with you:

  • Proof of identification like your driver’s license, passport, or military I.D.
  • Your vehicle insurance card or a receipt regarding a prior registration
  • Your replacement application
  • $5 to pay the register replacement fee


How to Replace a Registration on a Leased Vehicle

If you’ve lost the registration for a leased vehicle, you must file a power of attorney request with your leasing company. The following information will be required:

  • Your full name
  • A statement from your leasing company authorizing you to sign the registration application
  • The make, model, and vehicle identification number (VIN) of the vehicle

You’ll need to file the application in person at your local MVC office. The POA documentation will be filed along with all other documentation required for a vehicle registration replacement.


Replacing License Plates

If your license plates have become damaged beyond legibility, you can purchase duplicates by mail. However, if your plates have been lost or stolen, you’ll need to receive your duplicate plates in person at your local MVC office.

You’ll need to report both lost and stolen license plates to your local police as well as the MVC. When you go to the MVC office, you should bring the following documentation:

  • The registration certificate of your vehicle
  • Personal identification such as your driver’s license, passport, or military I.D.
  • Payment for the associated fees

The office will provide you with a Vehicle Registration and Plate Status Form, which you will keep to prove that the missing plates have been reported.


How to Replace Your Registration When Out-of-State

Replacement registrations must be requested in person. If you’re out of state, it’s possible to give notarized consent to an individual who does not own the vehicle. That person can go to the local MVC office to request the replacement on your behalf.

The person you choose will need a statement of notarized consent which has been signed by all of the vehicle owners. They’ll also need all standard required documentation for replacing a vehicle registration.