Whether you’re new to New Jersey or simply moving to another location within the state, you’ll need to update your vehicle’s registration and title. You’ll need to notify the Motor Vehicle Commission of the change either online, through a phone call, or in person. To receive your updated title and registration, you’ll need to apply for a duplicate.
How to Change Vehicle Registration Address With the MVC
Changing your address with the MVC will automatically update your vehicle title and registration. However, you’ll need to file an application for updated copies.
To change your address online, follow these steps:
- Visit the MVC Address Change website
- Provide your zip code, driver’s license number, and Social Security number
- Fill all other required fields
- Submit the form
- Print the confirmation of your address change
To change your address by phone, call the MVC at 609-292-6500. You should be prepared to give your zip code, driver’s license number, and Social Security number.
To change your address in person, you should visit your local MVC office with your personal identification and proof of your new residency. Personal identification can be a driver’s license, passport, or military I.D. Proof of residency can be a piece of mail or rental agreement.
How to Receive an Updated Vehicle Registration
If you change your address with the MVC, you’ll want updated copies of your vehicle’s title and registration. Otherwise, the system will show a discrepancy between your current address and the address listed on the old title.
The only vehicle registration address requirements are that you’ve provided your personal identification and proof of residency to the MVC. After that, you’ll follow the same process used to replace lost vehicle registrations. To get your new registration, you’ll have to visit the local MVC office in person; you cannot replace a registration by phone or online.
You’ll need to bring the following documentation:
- Proof of both your age and identity, such as a driver’s license, passport, or military I.D.
- Your vehicle insurance card or a receipt from a previous registration transaction
- A completed registration replacement application signed by all owners named on the vehicle title
- Payment for associated fees
How to Receive an Updated Vehicle Title
Unlike registration replacement applications, applications for a title replacement can be filed both in person and by mail. The application must include the following documentation:
- A complete Application for Duplicate Certificate of Ownership
- Your current registration
- Proof of insurance
- Payment for associated fees
If you choose to mail your title application, it should be addressed to the following:
State of New Jersey
Motor Vehicle Commission
Special Title Section/Duplicate Titles
P.O. Box 017
Trenton, NJ 08666
Fees to Change Vehicle Registration Address
Filing your change of address paperwork with the MVC does not have any associated fees. However, the applications for your replacement registration and title do. You can expect to pay the following fees:
- $60 for your title replacement application
- $5 for a registration application regarding a passenger or commercial vehicle
- $11 for an accelerated registration application
Where to Receive Paperwork
All official forms are available through the MVC website. You can begin filling them out online or print them and fill them out by hand. If you’re unable to print the documentation, you can obtain copies of all official forms through your local MVC office.